kemon

ET: Legacy 2.76 'The enemy is weakened!'

Dear ET community,

We hope all of you have thoroughly enjoyed your Christmas break and have endured a pleasant start into 2019.
I'm sure most of you have gained a few pounds from all the delicious Christmas food and are trying to cut it down but before you get up and start jogging around we ask that you hold onto your seats a little longer as we've got one more present for you!  It's been a while since our last release, but today's the day!

d6SJYWk.png

Before going any further, we would first like to thank francis for spearheading, hazz, bystry and seeD for their guidance and TeamMuppet for providing server infrastructure for the evolving competitive scene.

h6kT8Bj.png  So, a warm welcome to all competitive players.  oxjzX6i.png

What's new?

* VM_Create on UI error is resolved so no more manual work-arounds are necessary.
* Bayesian skill rating is implemented allowing for global comparison of skill among players.
* WolfAdmin is now the default game manager, providing many useful admin commands.
* Our own master server is up and running, so even if id master goes down you're good to go.
* Renderer2 + assets will be available in a bit, bringing you the best graphics for ET yet (experimental).

-> complete changelog

What's next?

'The enemy is weakened!' is by far our most comprehensive release yet. This means, that before anything else, we first need to take a step back and check if everything is running as intended.
All pending tickets (nearly 200!) have been moved to 2.78 and 2.77 is now reserved for non-breaking quality of life improvements and smaller issues.

There are three overarching focuses:
#1 - Smoothing out the game experience to ease the transition of the competitive scene to ET: Legacy.
#2 - Further improving our new renderer to make the game more attractive for new players.
#3 - Supporting Android and Raspberry PI devices to simplify server management and test mobile gaming.

Seihxz9.png

The ET: Legacy development is open to anyone. If you would like to be a part of it, we'd be glad to have you.
Simply join our Discord and start chatting with us.

3D Modeller
Recently, InspirationTuts finished and provided us with their first weapon model, the iconic Kar98 For that, we are in need of a 3D Modeller, acting as a bridge between InspirationTuts (modelling) and Zimuus (animations) and finally bringing the weapons in-game.
If you would like to assist in the implementation of new weapons, then please, let us know.

UI Designer
One big aspect of any gaming experience is the User Interface, which in ET is riddled with difficult to navigate server browsers, limbo menus etc. There already are some very nice UI concepts by mAus in our Discord, should you need inspiration. ET: Legacy now comes with Bayesian skill rating and IRC functionality, which also opens the gates for implementing some kind of social system.
If you would like to create a user-friendly first front to the player, then please, let us know.

Mac Maintainer/Developer
With every OS X update from Apple they break support for things. Currently, we have no Mac developer/maintainer in the team, which is always a problem when wanting to release a new version. We have no real possibility to test the Mac build, let alone people who continuously keep it working. In order for ET: Legacy to remain playable on Mac in the future, we are in need of a Mac maintainer.
If you have a Mac and knowledge about development (maybe even Mac developer status), it would be very helpful if you could reach out to us.

Translators
The ET community has always been incredibly diverse so in order to show our appreciation for our world wide player base, ET: Legacy now comes with translations for multiple languages. Translating the game is done entirely by community members. All we require is that you are fluent in English and your native language, so if anyone at all is interested in helping out with these translations, don't be shy, hit us up! Any and all help is very much appreciated.
If you want to get started, please let us know or simply have a look at Transifex.

Wiki Maintainers
In order to help new players get started, a comprehensive community driven wiki is desirable, containing all necessary and useful information. This includes information regarding the general installation of the game, tweaking cvars to achieve the best possible experience as well as general tips, tricks, strategies and tutorials. The foundation is already layed out, but we need the community to populate it.
If you have some DO's and DONT's to share, please let us know or directly dive into the wiki and complete it with your knowledge.

If you feel like you can contribute in any other way, be it overhauling assets or proven competitive maps, advancing the new renderer or any other contribution, don't hesitate to join our Discord and chat with us. ET: Legacy is an open, community driven development and every helping hand counts.

iPN3qmJ.pnguEOPAYN.png0saHa4D.pngkxI5R98.pngOR5QaWu.pngdNutsOq.png

• Thanks 2

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!! 2 and a half years is surely long enough!

will be updating my install of it, and the binaries hosting my test servers now! :D

• Haha 1

the hard part is with the sqilte  :8372: :comp16:  and the admin.db

Can't get onto server after update to new version.  Error says:

"silent/~ets_spreesounds_001-dev.pk3" is containing an invalid character for the et: legacy file structure.  Downloading file denied.

I can get onto other servers OK. :(

Here

Edited by anotherwhiner
accuracy

The tilde is an invalid character for pk3 names. This error is by design to protect the player from potentially malicious menu files.

I tried to explain it in a post on an other site , because they are also affected. The easiest way around this is for the server admin to rename their pk3 file. For example z_ets_spree

Now, I realize I should have started with this post this morning, because it might have prevented some reactions on both sides.

What is the deal of those pk3 and why are we so worried about them?

Why the tilde [~] character?

When you start the game, it goes through all the pk3 it can find in its directory starting with game (etmain) and then the loaded mod (e.g. legacy, nq, jaymod,...) and loads them alphabetically. So, pak0, pak1, pak2 (the standard etmain pk3) are loaded before pak3 (our legacy pk3). This is causing some servers to enter an outright war over which pk3 gets loaded last, because the content of that pk3 overrides content from all previously loaded pk3. Whichever is the last loaded pk3 containing UI files for the main menu is the one that gets to display what the player sees in their main menu. The tilde [~] and other ASCII characters are in the alphabetical list afteralphanumerical characters, making them popular choices for titles for those pk3.

Why are we worried about pk3 using those characters?

By itself, this is not necessarily bad, like you can see at the example of  an other clan. Your menu is intended as additional convenience to the player. However, there are several servers that for example remove all content from the main menu except for a connect button to their server. This leaves the player with no choice and options. Some even go as far as immediately connecting to a server without previous action needed by the player.

Imagine you start your game and it automatically connects you to a server you do not want to play on, because it executes that main menu file on startup. Once on the server you disconnect, because you want to play on another server. You disconnect to the main menu and immediately connect to that server again, because the main menu file gets executed. This is a loop that a player not necessarily knows how to exit, so they might uninstall.

Isn't all of that going to move the war to zzz_* pk3?

Not necessarily. There are two different kinds of reasons for those pk3. For the sake of argument, let's call them 'good' and 'bad'. Good is your menu file that wants to increase player convenience and be loaded last to prevent other potentially malicious files to be loaded after it. Bad are pk3 that need to be loaded last to maliciously tamper with the player's main menu in ways outlined above to bring as many players as possible to their servers.

It's likely (not safe) that those server admins won't also stop using tilde [~], because ET: Legacy has a few other exploit fixes (e.g. global server redirect from last summer) that they might not want. Also ET: Legacy is by no means the new standard (yet), so other servers on 2.60b will still use tilde to drive players to their server. So if one of the bad servers switches they are losing to the other bad servers who still use tilde.

What is going to happen now?

The easiest way for server admins to prevent any issues with ET: Legacy is to only use alphanumerical characters in pk3 names.

If  servers admins  renames their menu pk3 to z_*, they are immediately compatible with ET: Legacy. Players do need to redownload that pk3, but don't need to do anything else.

By using z_* your menu file is loaded after the original game paks, ensuring that your players will have your convenience again.

All clients using ET: Legacy will not be vulnerable to the potentially malicious tilde pk3 from bad servers. All vanilla clients would need to be instructed to not blindly connect to servers they don't know.

As far as I understand it from reading your messages is that most of you play exclusively on  yyyy. This means they never even connect to those bad servers, which removes the need for yyy to enter the war of the tilde pk3.

Some of you also play on other communities like for example xxx. What could be possible is that you enter some sort of partnership with a z__xx_menu file, that has two buttons in the main menu, one for a sub-menu with all xxx servers and one with all yyyy  servers. By doing this, you also prevent a civil war of last loaded pk3 among 'good' servers.

What's planned in the long run?

Now, to make it two official statements:

"We are not planning on removing that ban in future versions, for reasons outlined above."

"We won't be extending the ban to alphanumerical characters (zzz_)."

This ban was intended to provide additional security to players. It was always clear that by doing so we are not completely fixing this issue.

However, this ban has at least moved that exploit problem in the center of discussion. Players are now aware and server admins are confronted with their decisions.

By having that discussion we do hope that the community can actually come together and agree on common practices. Maybe even form partnerships.

Change is not happening if we ignore issues.

Why are we not blacklisting servers or whitelisting pk3?

This is a very slippery slope! We now have been accused of misconduct and exploitation of power with a simple attempt at providing security to players by blocking both good and bad.

Good and bad are always relative constructs and a handful of people should not have the power to decide to blacklist servers, nor be vulnerable to allegations of corruption for whitelisting pk3 from servers that donate.

Conclusion

Server admins can simply rename their pk3 to z_* or anything else that is loaded after the official game files and are immediately compatible.

Server admins could enter partnerships with other communities to prevent civil war of menu files among good servers.

If server admins rename their pk3 now, ET: Legacy clients will still be safe from potentially malicious files from other servers using the tilde character.

Vanilla clients would need to be instructed to not blindly connect to servers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anotherwhiner said:

"silent/~ets_spreesounds_001-dev.pk3" is containing an invalid character for the et: legacy file structure.  Downloading file denied.

I can get onto other servers OK. :(

Here

hi, i use an older etl version times to times  to dont have any problems

Another  the pk3 is renamed so hope to see you and sent me an email or post here if problems today

8 hours ago, anotherwhiner said:

I had that same problem with my test servers, i changed the filename to make it work.

anybody with existing files need to rename the files to have ` instead of ~ for files that require to be loaded before the main files.

for example, the ETNAM server menu that i made, requires a character like the tilde in order to work at all, but i will have kate try it again to see if it can work with z's.

also i don't like it when things change with the game that makes things harder to program for it, not one bit. it's bullshit.

@ Kemon a lot of respect for ETL team   from ets  like i have for mappers and botfilers 

without all of you ET will be dead  since monthes 

2 hours ago, PsychoPappy 4 said:

I had that same problem with my test servers, i changed the filename to make it work.

anybody with existing files need to rename the files to have ` instead of ~ for files that require to be loaded before the main files.

for example, the ETNAM server menu that i made, requires a character like the tilde in order to work at all, but i will have kate try it again to see if it can work with z's.

also i don't like it when things change with the game that makes things harder to program for it, not one bit. it's bullshit.

pappy you did a great job with silent menus , been a bullshit aswell with  silent 0.90  :ico_misc406:

i just  installed etl2.76 and got a white screen  for maby 2 seconds when i joined  and after at the map change : is a lil irritating  :comp16:

i had the same issue with etl 2.75 and not with the 2.74

8 hours ago, Kate said:

pappy you did a great job with silent menus , been a bullshit aswell with  silent 0.90  :ico_misc406:

i just  installed etl2.76 and got a white screen  for maby 2 seconds when i joined  and after at the map change : is a lil irritating  :comp16:

i had the same issue with etl 2.75 and not with the 2.74

Thanks for the input, it's true that i had to deal with bullshit before lol!

6 hours ago, anotherwhiner said:

All good now! :)
Thank you for all you do.
Sorry to be a bother.

You can ask us for help anytime!