anotherwhiner

Lots of .wav file errors in console

Dunno if anyone else is experiencing lots of .wav file errors in their console.  (Most probably never open the console to see them anyway.) :)
They show up in red.  You usually have to scroll up or down in the console to see how the game loaded.   They only appear once I log onto the ETS server. 
They are not there beforehand.
I contacted ET Legacy crew an here's what I got back from them:
________

From the source code:

if (FS_FOpenFileRead(sfx->soundName, NULL, qfalse) <= 0)
    {
        // changed from debug to common print - let admins know and fix such missing files ...
        Com_Printf(S_COLOR_RED "ERROR: sound file \"%s\" does not exist or can't be read\n", sfx->soundName);
        return qfalse;
    }

The errors always existed but were silent. Looks like something has to be fixed by the admin (custom sound paks? maps scripts?).

(I replied...........)  Cool. So it’s not on the client end then if I understand you correctly.

(They replied......)  Correct. The client now merely tells you there is an error, instead of hiding it. This make it easier for admins to correct their custom paks or map scripts.
As a player, you can safely ignore it.   --Spyhawk

_________

I have attached a couple of screenshots as an example of what I'm seeing.

Thanks in advance.

2019-01-15-082536-et_mor_pro.jpg

2019-01-15-082940-et_mor_pro.jpg

Edited by anotherwhiner

I am aware of these sound problems in the console in ET Legacy 2.76, and i'm not too sure what to make of it.

it seems like sooooo many sound files are not being read by etlegacy, perhaps i should start using debug modes in ET to see if the same problems exist in Vanilla ET.

if that's the case, i can work on fixing these errors.

According to what Spyhawk at ETL said, the errors would have always been there in times past with different versions of ETL.  But they were "silent."  In other words, invisible.  In the latest version, they chose to make them readable so that admins could correct their custom paks or map scripts.

Near as I can tell, it's not affecting gameplay.  :)

will forward this post to  ETL  friends , registered at ets

Sometimes the crap that they add to the game, especially the new restrictions, make you wanna blow your head off...

or do this: :kill_pc:

I think i need to take a little vacation from ET's programming madness until i get my mind clear, until then i'll need cortex to aid my mental recuperation. :P

These prints have been changed from debug to common print to let admins know and fix such missing files. It's been partially reverted due to your request. Admins that are not playing legacy mod are kept in the dark again unless they test maps in dev environment first.

These prints have been kept common for legacy mod, because we want to improve our mod, should those prints occur. We do understand that there is limited reason to print them on other mods since most of them are inactive. Please consult this commit for the implementation.

Legacy mod: Com_Printf  (common print)

All other mods: Com_DPrintf  (dev print that is visible in devmode)

Edited by kemon

i just tested with etl ,except to still have this white screen when i join the server + at map change i dont have these waves problems 

i still think is only related to some  maps   and side  maps authors

with etl.PNG

i tested with marrakech and with etl i have the same  messages than for Another in the console  : messages i dont have  with my ET